Delicious Brussels Sprouts?

I cooked for a dinner party Saturday night and we had a great time. My father-in-law said the blessing before the meal, Here is an excerpt, "...bless this food we are about to receive, even though brussels sprouts are a part of it!"

I think that most people share his sentiment about brussels sprouts. My brother told me that they are so good for you that they have to taste bad. When I was growing up we had them once a week because they were my father's favorite vegetable. My brothers and I never liked them because they were always taken right out of the freezer, cooked hard and put on a plate with some margarine (ugh!). I think one of the worst things that has been done to brussels sprouts is to have them available frozen, or canned (yuck)! The absolute best way to get this vegetable is right off of the stalk. Be careful not to over-cook them which tends to cause the sulphur-like taste that many people find undesirable.When cooked correctly they should have more of a nutty flavor.

The recipe that I made Saturday night was given to me in passing by a co-worker, and it turned out excellent. After serving it I got some great compliments, including "these are the best brussels sprouts I've ever had" and "I never knew brussels sprouts could taste like this." Even my father-in-law had a second serving, and that's saying something!

Balsamic-glazed Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
serves 4

Ingredients:
1/4 Lb. sliced Pancetta (Italian Bacon)
1 Lb. whole Fresh Brussels Sprouts
1-1/2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup chopped Green Onions
Salt and pepper to taste
___________________

Cut the bottom off of the brussels sprouts and remove the tough outer leaves
Bring a pot of salted hot water to a boil. Once boiling drop the brussels sprouts in for 4 or 5 minutes. Strain and put aside.
Cook pancetta on both sides in a pan on medium-high, cook until until crispy.
take pancetta out and place over a paper towel to drain. Once cool, crumble, or chop it up and set it aside. Save the remaining liquid/fat, leaving it in the pan.
Bring the same pan back up to a temperature of medium-high, and toss on the brussels sprouts. Cook for a few minutes, coating the brussels sprouts with the liquid, add salt and pepper to your taste.
Mix the balsamic vinegar into the brussels sprouts, cook for about 4 more minutes.
Transfer the brussels sprouts into a serving bowl, toss with the crumbled pancetta, and green onion. Serve!
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

EC said...

Jeff, I don't know if you will remember meeting me but I am Beth Curley's sister and we met at the shower she had fr Goody and Kinsey. Kinsey showed me your blog last night and I've been having so much fun looking though it! When I found this post, I had to tell you that Brussel Sprouts do get a bad wrap. I have a recipe on my blog that you might want to try as well.

www.shrinkingwhimsigal.blogspot.com

Please tell your very funny wife I said hi!!