This recipe is easy to make and it is a good one for kids, there is something about kids and french fries! We often make these fries for lunch for our children. They taste really great and are actually good for you. I used to fry the sweet potatoes in oil, they taste awesome this way, but they aren't as healthy, and frying anything in my kitchen makes the whole house smell like a fast food restaurant for days! At our house fries are always served with ketchup (my wife and kids wouldn't have it any other way), but another serving suggestion would be to melt a little butter and stir in some honey and dip the fries in the mixture. I've had it this way in restaurants and it tastes great.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries Serves 2
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise (like steak fries) -see picture
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp white pepper (or black pepper)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tsp basil
1/4 Tsp oregano
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil in a large bowl.
• Mix the rest of the ingredients together, coating the sweet potatoes with the olive oil and spices.
• Lay out the fries in a baking pan in a single layer. Place in the oven uncovered.
• Bake the fries flipping them over every ten minutes for 40 minutes or until potatoes turn golden.
• Sprinkle with a little extra salt and serve with ketchup, or according to your taste.
Note: the fries won't really get crispy, but they will be delicious!