Baked Acorn Squash stuffed with Bean Salsa


After reading
Gluten-free goddess' blog about acorn squash I got inspired to finally cook the acorn squash that was starting to gather dust on my counter. Her recipe looked awesome, but somewhat complicated, and as usual I didn't have a lot of time with two little ones running around my legs.
I sometimes make bean salsas to go over my baked sweet potatoes, so I thought why not over an acorn squash? Also this seemed like a good paring since beans go well with with brown sugar, and brown sugar is a natural with acorn squash. I made this last night and brought it to work to eat for lunch. As I was heating it up I was getting eager to see if it would be a success or a failure. Well I'm eating it now (on my lunch hour) and I'm pleased to announce that it's as good as I hoped! I just wish I had taken a picture of it before I ate it because it was so colorful, but I really didn't know it would turn out so good!


Baked Acorn Squash stuffed with Bean Salsa
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 Acorn Squash
Butter

1 Jalapeno pepper- de-seeded and chopped fine
1/2 sweet onion - chopped fine
1 tomato - chopped small
1- 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (or one can of beans - rinsed and drained)
1-1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
________________

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350ยบ
Cut the Squash in half in so that the top and bottom are on separate half's.
Scoop out and discard the seeds using a spoon.
Place the squash open side down, on a baking dish in 1/2 inch of water.
Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
________________

Mix the jalapeno pepper, onion, tomato, beans, cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl, set aside.
________________

After the squash is cooked drain the liquid,
Turn the squash open side up and put a few pats of butter (or to taste) on each piece.
Scoop the salsa over the squash, return to the oven for 15 minutes and serve.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: