When did pumpkins stop becoming food in our culture and became strictly decoration? what a waste! When I was growing up we always carved several pumpkins, baked the seeds and threw out the rest. Then we would buy canned pumpkin to make pies with.
Tonight I made a great pumpkin soup with only the discarded parts (carved out mouth, nose, eyes) from our jack-o-lantern. I cut the tough skin off of the discarded pieces and pureed them in the food processor with a little water.
Not only does pumpkin taste good it is also really good for you!
The Nutrition of Pumpkins and Pumpkin Seeds
This is the fourth year in a row I have made this recipe. Each year it evolves a bit, and has become distinctly Asian in flavor. Once it was done I had to heavily persuade my 3 your old and my wife to try it. once they did they both finished their bowl and asked for more!
Curried Pumpkin Soup
Preparation time: 15 min, cooking time: 30 min
Makes: serves 4-6
1small onion- chopped
2 cloves garlic- minced
2 Tbsp butter
1Tbsp fresh ginger -chopped
2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp celery seed
2 tsp pepper (I prefer white pepper for this recipe, but black will work)
@ tsp salt
1 bay leaf
2 cups pureed pumpkin (or 1 can of pumpkin)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sugar
4 cups Chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch (or arrowroot or tapioca powder)
chopped chives, or green onion (as garnish) optional
• Heat a large pot to medium, add the butter. add the onion, garlic,
ginger saute until the onion is translucent
• Mix in the curry, nutmeg, celery seed, salt, pepper and the bay leaf
• Stir in the pumpkin, sugar Stir in the broth and bring to a boil
• Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes
• lower the heat to simmer and remove the bay leaf
• Stir in 1 cup of the milk continue cook over low heat for
a few minutes.
• In another bowl, stir together the remaining milk and the cornstarch until dissolved, then add it to the pan.
• Stir until thickened and bubbly, cook a couple more minutes.
Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with chives, delicious!