I usually don't use spice mixes, but one I always have on hand is Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. In the past I have used Helen's Tropical Exotics-All natural Jerk Seasoning, but I recently came across Sauer's Jamaican Jerk Seasoning (www.cfsauer.com).
Last night I didn't have a lot of time to season the chicken breast I was preparing so I sprinkled the chicken on both sides with the Jerk seasoning and right away sauteed it in a pan and the chicken was incredibly flavorful! My kids loved it and it wasn't at all spicy.
I've made this dish a few times before and it's always comes out great.
(picture: Braised jerk Chicken with spinach and carrots over rice)
Jerk Chicken breast with Braised Apples: (serves 2)
I recommend serving this dish over rice and with a vegetable
It goes well with ginger carrots, sauteed spinach and corn.
2 medium skinless/boneless chicken breasts
1 large apple (or 2 medium)-cored and cut in slices (granny smith preferred)
2 cloves garlic -minced
1 cup onion - cut up
1/4 cup Sherry cooking wine
@1/4 cup olive oil
@1 TBSP Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
@1 tsp garlic powder
Saute pan with a fitted lid
• sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with salt/pepper, garlic powder, and most of the jerk seasoning, let the chicken sit @ 20 minutes for the flavors to absorb
• Heat a saute pan to medium/medium high, and add olive oil.
• Cook chicken breasts in the pan for about
3 minutes on each side
• Stir in the onion and garlic to the pan, saute with the chicken
for 1 minute
• add the apple, Sherry wine, and the rest of the Jerk Seasoning,
mix all together
• Cover the pan, lower the heat to simmer and let it cook
for 15- 20 minutes.
• Serve over rice, and enjoy!