Jamaican Jerk

I usually don't use spice mixes, but one I always have on hand is Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. In the past I have used Helen's Tropical Exotics-All natural Jerk Seasoning, but I recently came across Sauer's Jamaican Jerk Seasoning (www.cfsauer.com).

Last night I didn't have a lot of time to season the chicken breast I was preparing so I sprinkled the chicken on both sides with the Jerk seasoning and right away sauteed it in a pan and the chicken was incredibly flavorful! My kids loved it and it wasn't at all spicy.

I've made this dish a few times before and it's always comes out great.
(picture: Braised jerk Chicken with spinach and carrots over rice)



Jerk Chicken breast with Braised Apples: (serves 2)

I recommend serving this dish over rice and with a vegetable
It goes well with ginger carrots, sauteed spinach and corn.

Ingredients:
2 medium skinless/boneless chicken breasts
1 large apple (or 2 medium)-cored and cut in slices (granny smith preferred)
2 cloves garlic -minced
1 cup onion - cut up
1/4 cup Sherry cooking wine
@1/4 cup olive oil
@1 TBSP Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
@1 tsp garlic powder
salt/pepper

Saute pan with a fitted lid
________

sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with salt/pepper, garlic powder, and most of the jerk seasoning, let the chicken sit @ 20 minutes for the flavors to absorb

Heat a saute pan to medium/medium high, and add olive oil.

Cook chicken breasts in the pan for about
3 minutes on each side


Stir in the onion and garlic to the pan, saute with the chicken
for 1 minute


add the apple, Sherry wine, and the rest of the Jerk Seasoning,
mix all together


Cover the pan, lower the heat to simmer and let it cook
for 15- 20 minutes.


Serve over rice, and enjoy!
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Helen's Tropical-Exotics now has a recipe blog on here. Just reading through blogger posts, and I noticed you mentioned Helen's. Helen's blog is at recipe.helenstropicalexotics.com.